Home Insurance: A Shield Against Loss/Damage
“A house is made of walls and beams; a home is made with love and dreams.”
There is no such place like home in the entire Universe. After all, it is a place where you and your loved ones can rejoice, weave thousands of memories that last for a lifetime. While we put our life’s savings into buying or constructing a home but we rarely realize that our home needs a protection in the form of insurance too. By investing in a good home insurance policy, also referred as home owners insurance, you can protect your home from threats. Situations like burglary, fire, earthquake or destruction of house due to riots are quite common in India.
Don’t wait for a calamity to remind you the need of buying a home insurance, opt for it beforehand!
Top 5 Benefits of Home Insurance
There is no denying of the fact that house insurance is a must, however, there are other benefits and riders to buying such a policy that will add convince you totally. Have a look below:
- Get comprehensive coverage to both content and structure of your home.
- Secure your assets from any mis-happening.
- Buy home insurance policy at comparatively lower premium rates than other insurance policies.
- Reduce stress and tension level for you’ll have a home insurance to fall back to, in case of unforeseen circumstances.
- Timely insurance payouts allow families to go through rebuilding process quickly, helping them to move on and get back to their normal daily lives.
Inclusions in Home And Property Insurance
Home insurance covers losses to the structure and content of your home due to natural and man-made calamities.
- Fire and perils cover:
- Aircraft damage
- Riot, strike
- Storm, cyclone, flood
- Missile testing operations
- Earthquake Cover: The policy offers coverage against loss or damage to any of the insured property. However, many policies do not cover flood or overflow of the sea, rivers and lakes due to earthquake.
- Burglary and Theft Cover: The contents of home are also covered against burglary or theft. The coverage will also be extended to silver articles, jewellery, precious stones and other valuable items, provided these are kept in a locked safe within your home premises.
Exclusions in Home Insurance
- Loss or damage caused by wear & tear and depreciation
- Loss of cash
- Loss or damage caused by war, invasion, act of foreign country
- Loss or damage caused by nuclear war
- Loss, destruction or damage caused to any electronic equipment due to over-running or excessive pressure
Who Should Buy a Home Insurance?
Home insurance is meant for anyone who has a home whether own or rented. There is myth that only home-owners should buy a home insurance plan. Let us tell you case of Mr Vijay Rao and how having a home insurance policy saved him during a crisis. Two months after Mr Rao moved to a rented apartment in Mumbai, a catastrophic fire engulfed furniture and other appliances worth Rs 8 lakh. Thankfully, he had a home insurance policy and he could manage to settle back to normal life again easily and without any financial stress. It’s a misconception that only house owners should buy a home insurance. Although, house may belong to a landlord but it has contents which belong to you. Irrespective of the fact that whether you are a tenant or owner, buying home insurance should be your top priority. Even, there are various insurance companies which provide exciting discounts to people who have bought over 3 home insurance covers. However, don’t let discounts make you buying those covers also which you don’t need. For instance, if you are a landlord then avoid buying a policy to cover contents of the house. Leave that to the tenant. Companies also offer discounts if you buy it for a long duration. You can insure the house for up to 10 years, which not only gives peace of mind but you also get a chance to earn lucrative discounts.